- Too many decisions are made in the cloak of darkness
- The pastor and/or staff are treated poorly.
- Power groups tenaciously hold on to their power.
- There is lack of clear accountability for major decisions and/or expenditures.
- Leaders of the power groups have an acrimonious spirit.
- A number of the members see those outside of the church as “them” or “those people.”
- Many members have an inward focus; they view the church as a place to get their own preferences and wants fulfilled.
- Many people in the community view these churches negatively.
- Most of the members are silent when power plays and bad decisions take place.
The author postulates that the number of congregations demonstrating these traits is on the rise. How can we be a light to the world when we act so much like the world within our congregational walls?